- University of Chicago, Ph.D. (Computer Science), December 2004
- University of Chicago, M.S. (Computer Science), June 2001
- Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani, India, M.Sc. (Information Systems), June 1998
- Associate Professor at IIM Ahmedabad ( current )
- Research Staff Member at IBM T.J Watson Research Centre, New York (2004 - 2006)
Distributed Computing - Grid Computing, Peer-to-Peer Computing, Collaborative Computing, ICT for Emerging Regions and Digital Inclusion, Data Visualization
- Kavitha Ranganathan and Ian Foster, Computation Scheduling and Data Replication Algorithms for Data Grids, ‘Grid Resource Management: State of the Art and Future Trends’, J. Nabrzyski, J. Schopf, and J. Weglarz, eds. Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2003.
- Premm Raj and Kavitha Ranganathan, A Game Theoretic Approach to Community based Data Sharing in Mobile Adhoc Networks. International Conference on Telecommunications and Communication Engineering, ICTCE 2017, Japan.
- Ankur Sarin and Kavitha Ranganathan, A Case for Leapfrogging the Digital-Divide, Digital Debates: CyFy Journal 2015 (In collaboration with Global Policy Journal).
- Kavitha Ranganathan, An Adaptive Probabilistic Model for Broadcasting in Mobile Ad Hoc Networks, Simulation Modelling Practice and Theory Journal, Volume 49, December 2014.
- Kavitha Ranganathan and Sonia Arora, Enabling Grassroots Communication: A Memory-Aided Broadcast Mechanism for a Community Radio Service on an Ad-Hoc Device-To-Device Mobile Network, IEEE Transactions on Communications Vol. 62, No. 3, March 2014.
- Kavitha Ranganathan and Amit Kapoor, EKO – The Mobile Phone as a Financial Identity, Asian Case Research Journal, Vol. 18, Iss 1, pp 143, 2014.
- Kavitha Ranganathan, Efficient Broadcasting for a Manet-based Peer-to-peer Community Radio Service, Int. J. Information Technology, Communications and Convergence, Vol. 3, No. 1, 2014.
- Ankur Sarin and Kavitha Ranganathan, An Evaluation Framework for Socially Meaningful Evaluations of Technology based Social Innovations, Paper shortlisted as Highly Commended for the best paper award at the International Social Innovation Research Conference (ISIRC), Said Business School, Oxford, 2013.
- Kavitha Ranganathan and Ian Foster, Decoupling Computation and Data Scheduling in Distributed Data-Intensive Applications, Selected for republishing in Special Issue of Top 20 papers in history of HPDC, (Omni-Press) as part of International ACM Symposium of High Performance Parallel and Distributed Computing (HPDC-12), Delft, Netherlands, 2012.
- Kavitha Ranganathan and Ankur Sarin, A Voice for the Voiceless: Peer-to-peer Mobile Phone Networks for a Community Radio Service, Information Development, Volume 28(1) February, 2012.
- Kavitha Ranganathan, Leapfrogging the Digital Divide - Myth or Reality, International Journal of Information Communication Technologies and Human Development (IJICTHD) Volume 3(4) 2011.
- Kavitha Ranganathan and Vikramaditya Shekhar, Encouraging Cooperation in Ad-hoc Mobile-Phone Mesh Networks for Rural Connectivity, International Conference on Information Systems, Technology and Management (ICISTM) Bangkok, Thailand, March 11-13, 2010.
- Mark Brodie, Jennifer Lai, Jonathan Lenchner, Laura Luan, William Luken, Kavitha Ranganathan, Jung-Mu Tang and Maja Vukovic, Support Services: Persuading Employees and Customers to Do What is in the Community’s Best Interest, International Conference on Persuasive Techologies, Stanford University, Palo Alto, California, April 2007.
- Asit Dan, C.L Dumitrescu, Kavitha Ranganathan and M.Ripeanu, A layered framework for connecting client objectives and resource capabilities, International Journal of Cooperative Information Systems, September 2006.
- Kavitha Ranganathan and Asit Dan, Proactive Management of Service Instance Pools for meeting Service Level Objectives, International Conference on Service Oriented Computing (ICSOC), Amsterdam, December 2005.
- Thomas Phan, Kavitha Ranganathan and Radu Sion, Evolving to the Perfect Schedule:Co-scheduling Job Assignments and Data Replication in Wide-Area Systems using a Genetic Algorithm, Workshop on Job Scheduling Strategies for Parallel Processing (JSSPP), in conjunction with the ACM International Conference on Supercomputing, ICS 2005.
- Kavitha Ranganathan, Matei Ripeanu, Ankur Sarin and Ian Foster, Incentive Mechanisms for Large Collaborative Resource Sharing, International Symposium on Cluster Computing and the Grid (CCGrid-2004).
- Kavitha Ranganathan and Ian Foster, Simulation Studies of Computation and Data Scheduling Algorithms for Data Grids, Journal of Grid Computing, V1(1) 2003.
- Kavitha Ranganathan, Matei Ripeanu, Ankur Sarin and Ian Foster, To Share or not to Share: An Analysis of Incentives to Contribute in Collaborative File-Sharing Environments, Workshop on Economics of Peer-to-peer systems, Berkeley, CA, June 2003.
- Kavitha Ranganathan and Ian Foster, Decoupling Computation and Data Scheduling in Distributed Data Intensive Applications, Proceedings of the 11th International Symposium for High Performance Distributed Computing (HPDC-11), Edinburgh, July 2002.
- Kavitha Ranganathan, Adriana Iamnitchi and Ian Foster, Improving Data Availability through Dynamic Model-Driven Replication in Large Peer-to-Peer Communities, Proceedings of the Workshop on Global and Peer-to-Peer Computing on Large Scale Distributed Systems, Berlin, May 2002.
- Kavitha Ranganathan and Ian Foster, Identifying Dynamic Replication Strategies for a High-Performance Data Grid, Proceedings of the International Workshop on Grid Computing, Denver, November 2001.
- Kavitha Ranganathan and Ian Foster, Design and Evaluation of Dynamic Replication Strategies for a High Performance Data Grid, Proceedings of the International Conference on Computing in High Energy and Nuclear Physics, Beijing, September 2001.
- Method and system for supporting flexible advanced reservations with business value (2005).
- Co-scheduling job assignments and data replication in wide-area systems using a genetic algorithm (2006).
- A Microeconomic Mechanism for Distributed Indexing (2006).
The Steaming Mug by Kavitha Ranganathan. Registered at IIM Ahmedabad (IS0136) 2018.
Digital Green: Leveraging Local Knowledge and Talent for Video-Based Information Dissemination, by Ashish Ranjan and Kavitha Ranganathan. Registered At IIM Ahmedabad (IS0134), 2018.
Shut-Down Scheduling at a Leading Integrated Steel Company by Kavitha Ranganathan. Registered at IIM Ahmedabad, (CISG0113) 2010.
BabaJob.com: Digitizing the informal Job Sector by Kavitha Ranganathan and Ankur Sarin. Registered at IIM Ahmedabad - CISG0109 2009.
- Providing Connectivity for e-literacy Project in Kerala by Kavitha Ranganathan. Registered at IIM-Ahmedabad - CISG0100 , 2008.
- Program Committee member for International Conference on Contemporary Computing (IC3) 2013 and 2014.
- Program Committee member for I-Care workshop by IBM Research (I-Care’09).
- Vice-Chair for the International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems (ICDCS’07).
- Program Committee member for the International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems (ICDCS’06).
- Program Committee member for the Workshop on Global and Peer-to-Peer Computing (GP2PC’04).
- Reviewed papers for following journals: Journal of Networks and Systems Management, Computer Networks, Transactions of Parallel and Distributed Systems, ACM Computer Survey, Simulation Practice and Theory Journal, Future Generation Computer Systems Journal (Special Issue on Peer-to-peer Computing and Interaction with Grids).