Home | Contact
Ankur Sinha, PhD
Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad
Faculty, Production and Quantitative Methods
Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad
Wing 4 Room G
IIMA Campus, Vastrapur
Ahmedabad 380015 Gujarat
Phone (Office) +91 (0) 79 6632 4837
Phone (Residence) +91 (0) 79 6632 5008
- Ph.D in Quantitative Methods (2008-2011)
Aalto University School of Business, Helsinki Finland
(Former Helsinki School of Economics)
Received the best dissertation award for the year 2011
- B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering (2002-2006)
Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur India
- Business Intelligence: Data analysis and decision making
- Optimization: Evolutionary algorithms and multi-level programming
- Big-data: Financial text mining and sentiment analysis
Recent Journal Publications
- 2016 (Apr) - 2016 (Oct) Michigan State University, Visiting Faculty
- 2008-2015 Aalto University School of Business, Research Scholar (PhD and Postdoc)
- 2013 (Jan) - 2013 (Aug) Michigan State University, Visiting Scholar (Postdoc)
- 2007-2008 Idea Product Design, Design Engineer (Engineering Team)
- 2006-2007 Tata Steel, Manager (Coal and Coke)
- A. Sinha, P. Malo and M. Kallio. Convex preference cone-based approach for many objective optimization problems, Computers and Operations Research, 2018 (Forthcoming).
- P. Ramamoorthy, S. Jayaswal, A. Sinha, and N. Vidyarthi. Multiple Allocation Hub Interdiction and Protection Problems: Model Formulations and Solution Approaches. European Journal of Operational Research, 2018 (Forthcoming).
- T. Pajala, P. Korhonen, P. Maloa, A. Sinh, J. Wallenius and A. Dehnokhalaji. Accounting for political opinions, power, and influence: A Voting Advice Application. European Journal of Operational Research, 266(2): 702-715, 2018.
- A. Sinha, P. Malo, and K. Deb. A review on bilevel optimization: From classical to evolutionary approaches and applications. IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation, 22(2): 276-295, 2018.
- A. Sinha, P. Malo, K. Deb. Evolutionary Algorithm for Bilevel Optimization using Approximations of the Lower Level Optimal Solution Mapping. European Journal of Operational Research, 257(2):395–411, 2017.
- A. Sinha, P. Malo, K. Deb. Approximated Set-valued Mapping Approach for Handling Multiobjective Bilevel Problems. Computers and Operations Research, 77:194–209, 2017.
- A. Sinha, J. Rämö, P. Malo, M. Kallio, and O. Tahvonen. Optimal Management of Naturally Regenerating Uneven-aged Forests. European Journal of Operational Research, 256(3):886–900, 2017.
- M. Islam, H. K. Singh, T. Ray and A. Sinha. A Memetic Algorithm for Single Objective Bilevel Optimization Problems. Evolutionary Computation Journal, 2016.
- A. Sinha, P. Malo, K. Deb, P. Korhonen, and J. Wallenius. Solving bilevel multi-criterion optimization problems with lower level decision uncertainty. IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation, 20(2):199-217, 2016.
- A. Sinha, P. Korhonen, and J. Wallenius. Finding better alternatives than those considered in a multicriteria data sample. Journal of Business Economics (Zeitschrift für Betriebswirtschaft), 86(1):35-54, 2016.
- A. Sinha, P. Malo, and T. Kuosmanen. A multi-objective exploratory procedure for regression model selection. Journal of Computational and Graphical Statistics, 24(1):154-182, 2015.
- A. Sinha, P. Malo, and K. Deb. Test problem construction for single-objective bilevel optimization. Evolutionary Computation Journal, 22(3):439-477, 2014.
- P. Malo, A. Sinha, P. Takala, P. Korhonen, and J. Wallenius. Good debt or bad debt: Detecting semantic orientations in economic texts. Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology, 65(4):782-796, 2014.
- A. Sinha, D. K. Saxena, K. Deb, and A. Tiwari. Using objective reduction and interactive procedure to handle many-objective optimization problems. Applied Soft Computing, 13(1):415-427, 2013.
- A. Sinha, P. Malo, A. Frantsev, and K. Deb. Finding optimal strategies in a multi-period multi-leader-follower stackelberg game using an evolutionary algorithm. Computers & Operations Research, 41:374-385, 2014.
- A. Sinha, K. Deb, P. Korhonen, and J. Wallenius. An interactive evolutionary multi-objective optimization algorithm with a limited number of decision maker calls. European Journal of Operational Research, 233(3):674-688, 2014.
- P. Malo, P. Siitari, and A. Sinha. Automated query learning with wikipedia and genetic programming. Artificial Intelligence, 194:86-110, 2013.
- P. Malo, A. Sinha, J. Wallenius, and P. Korhonen. Concept-based document classication using wikipedia and value function. Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology, 62(12):2496-2511, 2011.
- K. Deb and A. Sinha. An efficient and accurate solution methodology for bilevel multi-objective programming problems using a hybrid evolutionary-local-search algorithm. Evolutionary Computation Journal, 18(3):403-449, 2010.
- K. Deb, A. Sinha, P. Korhonen, and J. Wallenius. An interactive evolutionary multi-objective optimization method based on progressively approximated value functions. IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation, 14(5):723-739, 2010.
For complete publication record refer:
- Special session on Evolutionary Bilevel Optimization at WCCI 2016 conference in Vancouver, Canada
- Special session on Bilevel Optimization at CEC 2015 conference in Sendai, Japan
- Session on Optimization and Decision-making: Theory and Applications at IFORS 2014 in Barcelona, Spain
- Special session on Bilevel Optimization at CEC 2013 conference in Cancun, Mexico
- Special session on Bilevel Optimization at WCCI 2012 conference in Brisbane, Australia.
- Session on Applied Simulations at CEC 2009 conference in Trondheim, Norway.
- Evolutionary Bilevel Optimization at CEC (May 2015), Sendai, Japan.
- Evolutionary Bilevel Optimization at PPSN (September 2014), Ljubljana, Slovenia.
- Bilevel Optimization at GECCO (July 2013) in Amsterdam, Netherlands and GECCO (July 2014) in Vancouver, Canada.
- "Financial Sentiment Analysis", March 2018, McAfee, Bangalore, India
- "Multiobjective Bilevel Optimization", March 2016, Neuvo Leon, Mexico
- "Evolutionary Bilevel Optimization" at Xerox Research Center India, July 2014, Bangalore, India
- "Evolutionary approaches to handling bilevel optimization problems" at Beacon Center MSU, February 2013, East Lansing, MI, USA
- "Introduction to Bilevel Optimization" at Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur, August 2011, Kanpur, India
- "Progressively Interactive Evolutionary Multi-objective Optimization" at Saint Petersburg State University, May 2011, St. Petersburg, Russia
- "Solving Bilevel Multi-Objective Optimization Problems Using Evolutionary Algorithms" at University of Jyvaskyla, November 2008, Jyvaskyla, Finland
- "Transportation Policy Formulation as a Multi-objective Bilevel Optimization Problem", "Unconstrained Robust Optimization using a Descent-based Crossover Operator" and "Incorporating Data Envelopment Analysis Solution Methods into Bilevel Multi-Objective Optimization" at IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computation (CEC-2015), May 2015, Sendai, Japan
- "An Improved Bilevel Evolutionary Algorithm based on Quadratic Approximations" at IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computation (CEC-2014), June 2014, Beijing, China
- "A Bilevel Optimization Approach to Automated Parameter Tuning" at the 16th Annual Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference (GECCO 2014), July 2014, Vancouver, Canada
- "Multi-objective Stackelberg Game Between a Regulating Authority and a Mining Company: A Case Study in Environmental Economics" at 2013 IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computation (CEC-2013), June 2013, Cancun, Mexico
- "Interactive Evolutionary Algorithm for Solving Many Criteria Optimization Problems" at INFORMS Annual Meeting (INFORMS-2012), October 2012, Phoenix, AZ, USA
- "Optimization of large objective problems using interactive techniques" at 25th European Conference on Operational Research (EURO-2012), July 2012, Vilnius, Lithuania
- "Unconstrained Scalable Test Problems for Single-Objective Bilevel Optimization" and "Solving High Objective Problems in Fixed Interactions with the Decision Maker" at IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computation (CEC-2012), June 2012, Brisbane, Australia
- "Solving Bilevel Problems Using an Evolutionary Approach" at INFORMS Annual Meeting (INFORMS-2011), November 2011, Charlotte, NC, USA
- "Bilevel Multi-Objective Optimization Problem Solving Using Progressively Interactive EMO" at the Sixth International Conference on Evolutionary Multi-Criterion Optimization (EMO-2011), April 2011, Ouro Preto, Brazil
- "Estimation of Efficient Regression Model using a Multi-Objective Procedure" at the Annual International Conference on Operations Research and Statistics (ORS-2011), April 2011, Penang, Malaysia
- "A Dimensionality Reduction Approach for Semantic Information Retrieval" at the 21st International Conference on Multiple Criteria Decision Making (MCDM-2011), June 2011, Jyvaskyla, Finland
- "Progressively interactive evolutionary multi-objective optimization method using generalized polynomial value functions" at IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computation (CEC-2010), July 2010, Barcelona, Spain
- "An Interactive Evolutionary Multi-objective Optimization Method Based on Polyhedral Cones" at Learning and Intelligent Optimization (LION-2010), January 2010, Venice, Italy
- "Constructing Test Problems for Bilevel Evolutionary Multi-objective Optimization" at IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computation (CEC-2009), May 2009, Trondheim, Norway
- "Towards Understanding Evolutionary Bilevel Multi-objective Optimization Algorithm" at IFAC Workshop on Control Applications of Optimization (IFAC-2009), May 2009, Jyvaskyla, Finland